Tuesday 22 March 2011

From Russia with Love

There was a thread at In Tatters about this heart repeat motif so I went to have a look at the pattern which can be found here.  It is a Russian website about tatting and I did enjoy looking through it and picked up a couple of patterns I wanted to try.  The first one being this heart pattern.  I felt the open spaces were too big (for my taste) so I sized the whole thing down and changed the stitch count slightly.  I also decided against the decorative picots (you can see them on the first heart on the left) as I felt they distracted from the shape of the heart on this small scale.  Then I played with the join where the chain reverses.  It's quite hard to make it really smooth as not only does the chain reverse there but there are two rings back to back on this join.



The second one is this square motif.  Can you tell I have a weakness for squares?  I'm undecided about it at the moment.  I might try making of repeat of four with it before I cast it away.



Added to the post later on:

As a couple of ladies have asked for my stitch count for the heart pattern, here it is:

R4-4, C6-11, R4+4, C11-6, R4+4 rw R4-4 (here I made the join by wrapping the thread around the thread that is between the two small rings so that there is pink on both sides), C6-11 and so on.  I've not put all the "RWs" in there but I think it's pretty well self-explanatory.


Best wishes,

13 comments:

  1. Lovely edging, I think you have done a great job, and your square is also lovely are you going to make some more and attach them to make a cloth.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your edging looks lovely, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a lovely edging, and you were right with omitting the picots, this way it is mare heartshaped! Must remember this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the heart repeats - your modifications are great. I like the square motifs too - maybe it's because they are unique and not seen as often as round motifs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. J'aime beaucoup cette bordure...Elle forme des coeurs combien avez vous mis de points??
    Je suis allée sur le site il y a beaucoup de modèles intéressants... Merci de cette information...
    A bientot si vous voulez me joindre voici mon mail evelyne.delaunay@dbmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The edging is really pretty. Funny, but I had to look for the hearts! I saw the flowers right away, and thought of how it would look with green for the chains. I'm also drawn to square motifs, and this one is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the heart edging! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the heart edging! You have once again done a wonderful job:) Would it be all right if I copy your modifications with this edging? I think it would make a really pretty bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the comments!

    Tattabugg, of course you can copy the modifications, I'm always pleased when someone wants to reproduce what I show here. And as Evelyne was asking about it as well, I can post the stitch count when I get home tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the hearts!!! And the square is great too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The heart pattern edging is sweet! I love how you did it, without the picots. I sometimes omit picots in patterns too, just so... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. All your tatting is lovely, the edging and the square, thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!