Thursday 10 March 2011

More Hiding Ends and Eightsome Reel

I have just finished making another pictorial for hiding ends when finishing on a chain.  See the Techniques page on top bar.  I practised this whilst making a couple of Mary Konior's Eightsome Reels.

I'm really pleased with these new methods and now don't feel so daunted at the thought of making a larger project with lots of smaller medallions - if I don't have to stop to sew ends in all the time!



Please do let me know if you find the pictorials useful.

Update (March 2015):  I have been asked for the link to this pictorial a few times which I thought had been lost (changes to Flickr where it was hosted).  Luckily someone had saved it and it is still viewable.  I am adding a caveat:  on a couple of occasions, my tatting came undone after using this method so I had initially removed it because I didn't want to be blamed if anyone tried this method and their hard work fell apart!!  So please feel free to try it and see if you feel comfortable with it and make sure you are happy your tatting is secure!



Best wishes,

15 comments:

  1. I will have to take some time to play around with this. Your picture tutorial looks very interesting! Since I've made Eightsome Reel before, I think it will be easier to follow your idea. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is simple and brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for doing this, you make it look simple and I am sure it is, once I have done it a few times, your have done a lovely tutorial and the pictures are very clear. I have never tried this far batter than doing knots. once again thank you.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very pleased if it's useful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frivole, I am not finding the tutorial anymore. Could you please steer me to the right place? In the past, I used your technique for burying ends and found it wonderful. Now I'm trying to do it by memory...ewww. I need a refresher. Badly. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose-Marie, if you see this, please contact me at frivole@btinternet.com (there is not email attached to your blogger account so I can't contact you). I found the tutorial!

      Delete
  6. Hi Rosemarie, I hope you will see my reply. I have had problems with the ends pulling out on a couple of occasions which caused me the remove the link. I was worried someone would follow that method and blame me if their tatting fell apart! But here is the link if you'd like to use it…

    Oh no! What have they done to flickr?? I can't find my photos anymore. I'll keep searching but at the moment, I don't know where that pictorial has gone!

    Recently, I have been using magic loops and find they are probably a more secure way to hide the ends as they are fully knotted before being hidden, each separately in the first and last chain or ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently you now have to be a member/JOIN Flickr to be able to access anything. I used to be able to see Ninetta's beautiful work on Flickr, but not now - all I get is a big box telling me to 'sign in or join' to be able to see anything. So I don't see anything. I don't join sites that try to FORCE me to 'join' them.

      Delete
    2. Hi, I'm not aware you have to be a member to view my pictorial. I have put the link back (see above), try it and let me know if it works. :-)

      Delete
  7. Thank you very much, I just blogged about this in my blog. I've had no problems to locate your pics, they're stil there, I added the link of one in set to my set of favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use your method all the time. I use a lockjoin before I pull the threads back into the chain. It works best if there are eight or more stitches to pull through and does take some practice. I wasn't sure if your pictures showed that step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernice, I'm glad it's working out for you. Lately, I've been using the magic loop method but I think I will revisit this, now there has been renewed interest.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hello Varsha, this pattern is not mine but a design by Mary Konior, so not free I'm afraid.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!