Wednesday 18 December 2013

Snowflake Earrings

I like snowflake earrings.  I spent some time trying to come up with my own design but eventually, on such a small scale (limited in the elements you want to have if you want the snowflake to stay small enough for earrings), it's hard to move away from the designs that are already available.  I was ending up looking too similar to other small snowflakes so I purchased Elizabeth Zipay's and Decoromana's snowflake patterns, both of which appealed to me.

And this is my version of Decoromana's. They are tatted in Lizbeth silver in size 20 and I added pearls "under the arches".  I made a little hanging "thingy" so that I could wear them with some stud earrings I have.

I love snowflakes!
Real ones and lace ones.



I've also decided, after trying it, that it's better to slightly stiffen tatted jewellery.  Earrings and necklaces can lose their shape pretty quickly and start curling in places you don't want them to if you wear them in their softer, natural form.  Just a bit of diluted white glue painted on and left to dry and the earrings keep their shape very well.


Best wishes,
Frivole

21 comments:

  1. So pretty!

    I use the glue method on the motifs I hang from the rear view mirror in my car! They last so long that they still have their shape when I replace them for a new one, because I am so bored with them : ) Go Glue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Frivole, I understand you completely! The first time I actually saw a real snowflake on my coat a few years ago, was a very happy moment.
    I love these earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Snow is wonderful and magical. I do miss it at this time of year...

      Delete
  3. So very pretty and the pearls really add a nice touch. Karen in OR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are adorable. I use Stiffy for all my snowflakes. It works well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are just lovely! Very dainty and delicate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful earrings!
    I use glue diluited with water and paint the back of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely earrings, beautiful snowflakes and we might get the real thing later.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely earrings! Yes, I think stiffening with glue is a good idea. Some of my tatted earrings have lost their shape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice snowflake ! I use starch to stiffen the tatted things, I had to try the glue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful set of snowflake earrings!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pearls are a great addition - and I've been thinking about that glue idea too. We already have LOTS of snowflakes on the ground in Minnesota - wish I could send some your way ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes please! I'd love some! We've only got more miserable rain… :-(

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous snowflake earrings :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful
    The pattern is no longer available. Would you mind sharing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clara,
      I'm sorry the pattern is no longer available, I hadn't realised Romana had closed her shop on Etsy and seems to be inactive on her blog. You could still try contacting her through her blog (Decoromana) as I'm afraid I could not share the pattern since it does not belong to me.

      Delete
  14. I was able to get this pattern but am trying to see how to add the beads in the middle of the arch. I love it!! I’m new to tatting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!